So I had a great New Year's Eve. That makes two years in a row that I've smiled and celebrated a New Year.
But all day yesterday, I couldn't help but notice a lot of people posting on the social media sites about how they wanted 2013 to hurry up and get here. I learned something 2 years ago...
In 2011 I lost my best friend, thought at some point I'd be living out of my car with my husband and 2 cats (talk about cramped), and lost my father-in-law. I kept saying I can't wait for 2012...this year sucked! But, my career coach and friend, Doug Shapiro, sent an email to all his friends about his successes in 2011 and I thought what better way to enter into a new year than with positive thoughts about the year ending.
So I set out to make a list of successes. And lo and behold I did it. Some were small things like my parents getting remarried. Ok, so that was pretty big...AND AWESOME! Once I wrote one down more came to me. I did an off-Broadway show, 2 NYC showcases, a beautiful concert in Queens of Civil War music, 6 months of continued work in theater, started a business, and met amazing people, and had the most amazing husband by my side through it al. So during a year when I thought my world was ending because I was focusing on all the sad and depressing things wasn't so bad once I shifted my focus.
So, I challenge all of you to sit back and focus on the good that came out of 2012 to help you look ahead at 2013 with positive love and light.
- My business flourished and expanded exponentially thanks to my friends, family, and business relationships.
- I made my Broadway debut!
- I have been able to continue my personal acting career while running my business.
- Raised money for early literacy, domestic violence and abuse, and relay for life.
- Doubled our roster of Cabaret singers.
- Performed in my first local theater show since 2008.
- Paid off my car!
- Went on a vacation with my husband. First vacation together since 2008 (our honeymoon).
- Ran my first 5K
- Participated in Relay for Life.
- Produced my first full-length musical with 6 amazing actresses and incredible staff.
- Participated in a number of community events.
- Gave away $350 in scholarships to local high school vocalists.
- Celebrated my 4th wedding anniversary with the most supportive husband.
I look at that list (and there IS more) and I smile. When I chose to redirect my focus at the end of 2011 it gave me the energy and belief system that I COULD DO ANYTHING in 2012. And I did!
Instead of dwelling on those who wrong us, hurt us, use us, etc. focus on the people who DO NOT! When you focus on the people and things that help lift and raise us we can then, in turn, lift and raise others and help positive things happen. And that's the kind of world I choose to live in.
Happy New Year! Let's FOCUS on a great 2013!
Kirsten Rani Almeida
Star of the Day Event Productions